Handling Heavy Data Center Equipment: Is it Time to Buy a Lift System?
Some data center servers and rack-mounted equipment can weigh over 800 pounds. For data center employees working among narrow aisles, and sometimes working overhead, this can lead to hazardous conditions for both the employees and the IT equipment itself. Work-related injuries could cost a company hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Sensitive IT equipment, if dropped or moved incorrectly, could sustain irreparable damage.
The Right Tool for Moving Data Center IT Equipment
Moving IT equipment in a data center requires purpose-built tools reduce or eliminate injuries and damage to equipment. The tools must be designed specifically to handle the data center workspace: narrow aisles, tight turns, rack height accommodation, single-person operation, etc.
Some features in considering a Data Center Equipment Lift System:
- Certified for use in data centers
- Designed specifically to move data center IT equipment
- Ambidextrous operation from multiple operator positions
- Rigid and stable platform
- Overhead safety to prevent overhead damage to the facility
- Ability to secure equipment to the device platform
- Precision up/down movement
- Bi-directional sliding tray
- Full height allowance for full range of data center cabinet
- Braking system to prevent movement during lifting and installation
- Casters/wheels to allow movement without damaging data center floor
- Proper load capacity for devices being moved
- Lifting speed
- Manual vs electric lift